Earlier this evening I went to see Dear John with some girlfriends and shed a few tears in the process. For the record, I don't really cry in movies, but when empathy wells up in me my eyes water. In reality I wish I could sob loudly right there in the movie theater, maybe even jump into the scene and give the character a hug and tell them, "Everything's going to be ok," or "I've been there, I can relate."
A part of me loves these dramatic romances which explain so much about the heart of a woman and how her Creator designed her. But on the other hand, they are a way of escape for those of us who crave for intimacy with a night in Shining Armor, as cliche as that might sound, that we lack in our own lives. We know that during the movie, we will be drooling for the lead male-role and by the end we will be like, "Why can't I have a Mr. Darcy?!!!!" We will be examining ourselves, thinking about what we could change about our appearance, attitude, or demeanor to grab the attention of the guy of our affection. We talk amongst our girlfriends trying to get some consolation for why we are still single.
In my life, I find myself in constant surrender of my heart to God because I know that I can't figure this area out alone or right. While I have been single for my existence on this planet, I look around at those coupling up around me and crave my Mr. Darcey. I wonder who I could have dated along my journey. The few almost relationships that ended in pain or a realization in difference. I look at my beautiful sisters who have landed relationships within months. If someone catches my eye, I pray to the good Lord above that I am not too forward with my actions and that they get the chance to be the man and pursue me instead of the other way around.
In the end, He reminds me and whispers to my heart, "Colette, you are beautiful. I have someone uniquely created for you, don't settle for less than My will." He also reminds me where I could have been. He lets me look at the Godly partnerships around me and lets me have compassion and a sense of reality when I see those like my parent's who never knew what it was like. Though days my heart aches for my Mr. Darcy, I know that I have Jesus who romances me, He loves my soul and every part of my being. While I'm waiting, He is still working on my heart for my Mr. Darcy.
No comments:
Post a Comment