Thursday, June 2, 2011
Pearls and swine don't mix
I know it has been quite a long time since my last blog. It might be less inspiring than my last one, but here it goes.
Many times in my life I have come to the conclusion of my sensitive nature. For instance, I am in a group of friends and one friend says an off-handed statement about me. The statement is meant to be joking, sarcastic or whatever, but it sometimes cuts at me. To another person they wouldn't ponder any further about what the person meant, but because I am who I am it bothers me. As a female, I know that contemplating these matters comes with the gender. However, I know women who still can let these comments fly off of them.
When I was growing up, I had a decent childhood, but I shared some experiences with my family members that I would not wish on anyone. Throughout these experiences, my siblings and I have all had to deal with our own wounds. In our wounds, as every human does, we react out of them accordingly. In the vast majority of cases, we react poorly. We have built up an armor and we become defensive. We put on a confident act, when we don't want to show self-conscience we really are. In my case, I choose to not speak up and tell this person that uttered those words how much their statement harmed me. I start to believe their statement and belittle myself.
As I have gotten older, I have come to realize that part of my sensitivity comes from how far I let these statements get to me and the other part is just who I am. God made me to be a tender-hearted individual so I could see through others' pain and understand what they are going through. For the part of me that struggles with putting myself down, that is an area of my heart that God is still trying to heal. I believe this will take much of my life and understanding from those around me. However, for the part of me that was created sensitive, I will not apologize, since I have no right to say that God made a mistake on what He created.
In my moments of discouragement, I have had consolation in a verse that reminds me about how important it is to protect my heart.
“Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6
In my life, and you may find in your own, I find that too many times I focus on trying to share a part of myself with someone who will not treat it with care. Like the pearls in the parable that get trampled by the pigs, so can our hearts in peoples' care. This is not to say that every person is incapable of caring for your heart, but it is a warning to be discerning to whom you entrust with it. In fact, you may find some swine that could cherish your heart like the picture above. There are good swine out there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I can so identify with your post. I'm so proud that you can take the good with the not-so-good, especially as it affects your growth. You are dear, and the world needs your sensitive and kind heart.
ReplyDeletehugs