Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chalk...Making a Mark



While scrolling through my Netflix movies, this movie intrigued me since I am an aspiring teacher. As a previous high school student, I had teachers just like the PE teacher who was abrasive, the social studies teacher who wanted nothing else but the award of teacher of the year, and the first year teacher who wanted so hard to gain the respect of his students. As a future teacher, I have observed the inner-workings of the schools, written papers on my philosophy, created lesson plans, and designed my own management plan. I've talked to friends who are aspiring teachers, new teachers, administrative staff, and experienced teachers, but nothing will prepare me as my own experience teaching.

Monday I will be starting my last year of college. By the time I finish I will have two degrees, a Bachelor in Art and a Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education - Single Subject Art. (Those extra credits that I took deciding what I wanted to do with my life paid off!) This fall semester I will be in the public schools part time, learning how to do secondary education, as well as preparing my artwork for my senior show. Ultimately, I hope that this second degree will give me more skills in my future teaching as well as make me more marketable as a new teacher trying to find a job. Once I finish this next semester, I will commence into student teaching. After that, I will graduate. I will be in the real world where I don't depend on scholarships or loans. I will be a professional trying to make a difference.

I'm scared, but I'm excited. I'm scared that I won't communicate or manage the classroom well. On the other hand, I've taught before and I know how it feels to have the spark of words just flow from your mouth. I love getting the students engaged by questions which challenge their thought. I love to see them as they realize how much potential they have.

In reality, I am human and I will make mistakes in this teaching process. I am praying that I will learn from those mistakes and see how I can change my approaches. In the end, it's about the students and not me. It's not about getting the students to like me, it's about their growth. I know that the reason I am on this earth is not serve myself, but serve those around me. Just as Jesus' purpose was not to be served, but to serve.

Making a mark...that's what chalk does. I hope I can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment