Saturday, May 29, 2010
What can I do?
Sometimes I get discouraged about the way I spend my time, especially by the way I waste it. I have so many responsibilities, yet I would rather fix my eyes on something that will give me pleasure rather than what will give most good to others. As the song writers of Switchfoot have sung, "I don't want to read the book, I'll just watch the movie...I don't want to face my fears..." As humans we are creatively selfish. We scheme and plot ways that help us get out of tasks, meetings, papers, laundry and even relationships that make us feel uncomfortable or inconvenienced.
Since I am human, I am guilty of being creatively selfish as much as the next man, but I'm more prone to distinguish someone else's faults rather than my own. When I encounter injustice due to addiction, anger, power, fame, and greed, it makes my heart ache for the victim of that situation. I could sit and analyze what kind of person could create such monstrosities in our world. I can sit and pity myself and ask my Creator, "why me? why was I born into this family? why are we so broken?"
The reality is, yet again, I am capable of creating monstrosities because I am human. We are broken because we have sinned. Because we have been hurt by others' sin, we have wounds that are far deeper than the eye can see or even begin to understand. Here we are on this planet with this predicament. What do we do about all of this pain?
My longing for my life is that I change. That I transform into a person that cares more about God and the people He's put in front of me than I care for myself. I want to be a strength for others in this painful place, but how do you do be a strength if you have no source to draw it from? Jesus told those who were weary that He would give them rest. He told them that His burden was light and they wouldn't have to do it on there own.
He has to be our strength so we can keep on going, so we can keep on giving, and stretching out to those who need it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment