February 2, 2011
God is great. Incredibly great. I am just saying it because I can and because I don't say it enough. Besides all of his wonderful attributes, I love that He teaches continues to teach me and never gives up teaching me (because I can be stubborn). He shows me a purpose that I have in this world.
Tonight I had the chance to see a movie called, Temple Grandin, based on a true story of a woman who lives with Autism and her journey in her educational experiences. As people with Autism struggle connecting with others socially, they are brilliant and can sense those things around them that others can't always identify. Throughout the movie, I saw her being bullied for saying strange things or babbling on and on, I wondered what made her like this. I wondered how challenging it would be to live with little human contact and to be worried about so many environmental surroundings all of the time.
By the end of the film, she was able to produce experiments, do research and create machines that effected society. I learned her way of thinking was challenging, but it shouldn't be seen as a disability. Her brilliance helped her to think in pictures, which many of us don't do, and this allowed her to understand what others couldn't. God made Temple Grandin with Autism so she could have a gift no one else had.
As a future teacher, I hope that when I encounter students with Autism, that I would be able to encourage them to pursue their visual strengths. I wish to empower them, as well all of my students and those I come in contact with, to see themselves as God created them to be. Each with a purpose, design and a story to tell.
Check out the trailer, it's awesome!!!
I still need to see this movie. I would recommend a book she wrote called Animals Make Us Human, good read :)
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing Colette.
Thanks Sam, I will definitely check that book out.
ReplyDelete