Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Week of Surrender

Last week I spent my days and nights following around many lively preteens around Cathedral Pines. As a cabin leader, I worked with my amazing new friend Faith watching, keeping track of and enduring the raging hormones of seven junior high girls.
As it was my first time as a cabin leader, I didn't know what to expect. Many of my friends had shared numerous stories of their childhood and adulthood experiences at this camp with me, but I had yet to make my own. Even though I didn't know how to direct myself, I knew that God wanted me there and He displayed it in many ways.
While I was there, He placed me with Faith, who knew her way around and had been a cabin leader for the past few years. She had games in mind when our girls wanted to blow some energy, the joy in the spontaneous quirkiness of the cabin, and many other qualities to compliment mine.
Another way I was able to see His purpose for my being there was the time I got to spend with the girls. He opened my eyes to their perspectives and helped me to relate to them as He reminded me of the heartache I had gone through at such a young age. As I listened to their stories and shared my life with them, I hoped that I could help them know they weren't alone and that I could be an example of someone who reached for Christ in times of confusion.
My all time favorite time of camp was a session reserved for acceptance. As the theme consisted of Reality Shows, we had a "Rose Ceremony" from the Bachelor. However, it was different for two reasons. Number One: We gave out handmade cross necklaces instead of roses, and number two: we gave them an opportunity to accept a relationship with their Creator, Jesus Christ instead of pursuing an earthly one. As we stood up as leaders and called each one by name they always responded. Only God can search their hearts and minds and only He knows if their acceptance was genuine or not. 
Whether or not I made a direct impact on the girls' lives I will never know. I know that I gave myself last week and I helped plant a seed that will might bear luscious fruit someday. As I spoke each name, I wondered about my life past camp. I wondered in the mundane moments of my reality, back in the real world,  if I spent so much time thinking about eternal life and reaching out that reality to those around me. My answer to this question was, "not enough." I am no where near perfect. My prayer is that I desire to share my hope with others. 

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it great that there are no coincidences?!
    I've been to Cathetral Pines too and tho I wasn't maybe cut out to be a sr hi counselor I came away with insights I've never forgotten.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete